Thursday

fried green tomatoes


I am so proud of myself!!! Last night I whipped up an amazing batch of home-made, home-grown (by my Momma) fresh Fried Green Tomatoes! It was a little touch & go at first, but the final outcome was totally worth the house full of smoke I ended up with. Ha ha. I didn't even use a recipe, just winged it based on what Momma had told me for Fried Okra....was just praying they would be similar enough for it to work. I was right! I just sliced them up, salt & peppered both sides (prob. could use a little more next time) and then dredged in flour. Super simple folks! I then put some cooking oil on high heat & it was on like Donkey Kong. The first 4 burned and filled my house with smoke. Catfish was not amused, haha. I then kept a better watch & flipped them the next batch several times instead of trying to cook each side once. I think with a little more practice I'll be able to make these in my sleep. AK mentioned something about an egg wash before the flour, maybe next time?! Check out the finished product below. Yummy! I brought a bunch to work & we are making Fried Green Tomato BLTs for lunch today. Be jealous...
Lauren lives super close to Juliet, Ga. where the actual Whistle Stop Cafe is & is the home of the delightfully southern classic movie 'Fried GreenTomatoes'. I actually have a picture of myself w/ my step-mom in front of the Whistle Stop Cafe from late high school I believe? It was super early in the morning so they weren't open yet. Definitely need to go visit Lauren soon so I can have the 'real thing'.


And now for some of my favorite scenes...

2 comments:

Galit said...

Looks so good!!..
I'm craving some fried spicy food lately. Should try making some of these! (sounds good with okra too!)

Melissa J said...

They look amazing and I am jealous!