Thursday

homeward bound

I am heading home (again) this weekend to ye ole Tifton, Georgia to spend some time with my family, get Catfish back, attend a shower that is supposed to be super fun and something else, hm.... oh yeah-and get my new car!!! Woo hoo! Ok, ok, I'm calming down. No more jumping and screaming. There will definitely be a post on that subject sometime in the next week or so. In the mean time, I thought I might educate a few of you on my quaint little hometown. Or, possibly bore you all to tears. You be the judge and always remember, this is not forced, you can walk away at any time. Here we go....Tifton, Georgia is located about 45 minutes north of Valdosta on I-75. Many of you have probably driven through here, or maybe even stopped at our fancy-smancy Starbucks w/ a drive-thru?? The town has grown so much since I graduated High School and ran for the hills. We have our Super Walmart, several chain restaurants and are in the process of getting a Chilli's. But, I bet there are a few things you didn't know about Tifton. Well, unless you have actually read all 5,000,000,000,000 billboards we have up for a little self-promoting on the out skirts of town. Did you know that we have our own grass? Get your mind out of the gutter-the kind you walk on! It's called Tifton 85 and is a Bermuda grass, Google it if you wish to know more. We are known as the 'Friendly City' and got our start in the mid 1800's. Tifton is home to the Agrirama, Georgia's Museum of Agriculture and Living History. If you visit you can like milk a cow & make your own grits (and I 'ain't' talking instant in the microwave grits)-seriously. Tifton is also home to ABAC-Abraham Baldwin Agricultural College and a University of Georgia campus. ABAC's school colors are John Deere green & gold & I kid not. I think that's a good question: "Which came first? John Deere or ABAC?" Hope you got that. And, ah...yes, Tifton is the Reading Capitol of the World. Or, at least was a few years back. There is a mascot that goes w/ this 'title' and it is a giant globe, that walks, wears glasses and walks around reading a book when it visits schools. Ok, now I am bored. Any who.....I might crack a lot of jokes about my hometown and you might be drooling on your keyboard by now. BUT, I am proud to be from Tifton. It was a great place to grow up, just as it was for my mother and her family. It made me who I am today and I do love to go back and see a friendly, familiar face around every corner. If you are ever driving through, stop on in.....we don't bite :)


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Tifton was also home of the largest Magnolia Tree in the State of Georgia until just recently....the tree has died, I guess drought, etc. Bummer. Most recently we are famous for being the home of Catfish/Scatfish Marshall who can haul ass faster than any of us can run....